Friday 17 February 2012

Why I chose to do a MA

Doing an MA for most students has a ring of 'i'm unsure about what to do next' about it, frankly its not quite the solid foundations for attempting to do an MA. But I found myself that I was one of those who panicked and then went for what seemed to be the 'go past go' kind of scenario.
Attempting to do an MA for anyone is extremely difficult and there is no student life attached to it like there is with an undergraduate degree; the endless pressure is almost unbearable but the glittering prize at the end of it makes one feel proud of their upcoming achievements. If someone asks me now, why did I choose to continue my education, I feel that I must ponder a bit as the obvious answer of "I dunno" or even "there are no jobs" just doesn't quite cut the mustard really does it? That kind of answer seems flimsy and ultimately unworthy if a potential employer asks you.
So why did I do my MA? I find the answer in the way that I love to read and discover things, there are many more ways to expand my knowledge and setting myself the challenge of actually doing a large dissertation of a topic that really interests me (having been unable to do one at BA level), is my ultimate challenge. I really feel as if my skills of analysis and theory are being put to the test and expanded upon and will benefit me in my future jobs to be able to work independently.
One thing that I loathe about telling people that I'm doing an MA is the fact that I am greeted with a response which makes me look arrogant, and I'm not sure if that is because I have lost touch with reality (!) slightly or if that people just think I'm a massive egg head (which I'm not, by the way, there are plenty of higher achievers out there!!). I can't help but wonder if, when I get to the end of the road, it will even have any benefits for me; the job market is appalling and there are very few opportunities for any level of educated people; those without experience (i.e myself) stand little chance of getting any where. So why do I do it instead of getting real work experience relevant to my chosen job field instead of working part time in a cafe to pay outrageous prices for half arsed education? I enjoy it. That is the sole reason, I love reading and formulating some type of opinion about it (even more so if its arguing against someone, not that I'm argumentative its just I want to express my view!!).
So I personally would recommend continuing to Masters level if you have the time, money and the opportunity to do it, because you never know what may spark your interest and where your life path may lead you. It might even go down the road of a PHD if you're lucky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment